29 September 2009

Therapy

Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare yourselves, because I would like to vent. I would normally do this much more privately but after being married for almost 8 years now I've learned which things I can vent about to Joel and which ones I need to call my sister or girlfriends about. This is one that I would not use Joel for. So normally, I would call my sister or my girlfriend (probably you, Mer, since we always so many of the same complaints :) but I just don't feel like getting on the phone most of the time now and watching my house fall apart before my eyes while I talk for 10 minutes. Ok, here it goes, starting with this:


Photobucket

So this is how I feel these days. This morning Joel had Gabriel and told me he would hold him until I hurry and got dressed. I literally stood in front of my clothes for probably a good 7-8 minute staring. Just staring. Trying to remember the days when I could just throw on any number of cute jeans. This is no longer my opportunity. Now, I spend way too much time trying to convince myself that I *might* be able to fit my cow size booty into some of my old jeans. Then I spend the rest of the morning in a self wallowing depression. I'm kinda tired of the small number of articles of clothing that fit my lower half. I've told Joel I would like to join the local YMCA. Through them I lost all of my baby weight from Ben (and some). But Joel, sorry honey, does not want me to join a gym. I assume because for Joel, money trumps all. Despite health or self esteem boost, I think he would prefer to save the money. I explained to him this morning we either spend money on a whole new wardrobe for me or at the gym. Personally, I would rather be healthy and keep my current wardrobe. He was not happy with me after that statement.

The problem with the gym is that I'm tired. And busy. Those two things don't mix well with getting up at the ghastly hour of 6am to go work out. I usually feed Gabriel around 5:30 and I'll I want to do is get back to sleep after that feeding. If for some reason, he thinks it's an appropriate time to get up, I either make Joel get up with him or I'm not a nice Mom until about 11 o'clock. Right now is a particularly bad time because all the kids are sick. And sick babies like to feed a lot. Too much. So I've been getting horrible sleep for sometime now. Gabe has been waking up 3 times a night to feed. And though this goes against the code of motherhood, I actually got sick as well. Which pretty much is the biggest slap in the face when you're a Mom. Why? Because it doesn't matter when a Mom is sick. I still have to get up in the night and feed a baby. I still have to make lunches and dinners. I'm still taking care of the other sick people in the house. It takes so long to get better because there's no rest for this sick person.

I'll stop my ranting here. I'll finish another day. On another topic. But just so you understand here's the recap:

So there's a horrible cycle here. I have baby weight still on me. I want to go to the gym to work it off. But I have a baby. So I'm tired. Too tired. Then I get emotional because I'm tired. Then it feels like all those pants that don't fit are laughing at me in my closet. Telling me to just go ahead and donate them. Then I want to cry. But I know it's partially because I'm really tired. So I think all about how I would feel better if I went to a gym and fit into those clothes. Then I would laugh at them. But then I hear my baby cry out, and my two year old yelling my name through the house, and my 4 year old asking me what we're doing today, and my 5 year old asking me to make her lunch for school and I think~ MY PANTS ARE GOING TO WIN!! I'LL HAVE TO DONATE THEM AFTER ALL! Stupid pants. Stupid shirts. At least my shoes still fit.

14 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I feel for you. All I can say is, sorry. There is a bright side, at least while the cheeky pants are laughing, the sirens of sweetness aren't calling your name, promising to coat all your troubles with chocolate sauce and sprinkles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is frustrating. Sometimes I feel like my husband cares more about saving a dime than just dealing with the issue itself and resolving it which is cheaper in the long run, even if it isn't in the short run. Luckily he's pretty understanding when I communicate that to him though (although it might take several attempts at communication before the message gets through).
    I hope you feel better soon. Feeling sick makes EVERYTHING worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been going through the same thing and then I get the whole "I'm-a-terrible-mother" syndrome going along with the lack of sleep and my clothes laughing at me and my family sick... The point is I totally understand and I am validating your feelings. Good luck with everything and if I lived by you I would be your exercising buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya on this one. I'd like to lose 10 more pounds. However, I have a bad habit of eating when I'm stressed. But do I eat a carrot? No. Do I eat Ben and Jerrry's? Yes. Is that helpful to me losing 10 pounds? No. Is that helpful for my self esteem? No. But I still do it. And I also have a baby and 2 other demanding kids and I'm exhausted and basically I understand how you feel. Yeah, I understand how you feel. At least you're in good company:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura. I totally feel you here. I literally have ONE pair of jEANS thAt I WEar And LIKE two shirts. That's it. And with the baby waking at 5:30. I make Brian get up with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you looked so great tonight! I mean it, and I thought it BEFORE I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said and valid complaint. I'm right there with you! I always end up with a pile of clothes on my bed that I tried on and they just don't work. But, I can't spend money on clothes right now either. aaaarrrrggggg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel better? I love you and I'll be down Friday to babysit while you do whatever you need to do - maybe sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There will come a day when a baby will not be "sucking" you dry and then you can sleep more & exercise more! Try running at night...before the sun goes down...it is Fall now, it should be perfect weather...then you don't have to wake up early:)

    Hang in there girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my shoes don't even fit anymore. :)

    i totally feel ya on this. my kid is 8 months old and i still have 10 or 15 pounds to lose and i'm training for a freakin' marathon!!! cut yourself some slack... you just had your 4TH KID. and i'll cut myself some slack, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura I think you look so great! When I saw you on Sunday, I was so impressed with how thin you were! You really do look amazing, don't be so hard on yourself! I can't imagine taking care of a family of sick kids when you are sick yourself and feeding a little baby several times a night. You are amazing! Hang in there! I would love to watch your kids for you anytime so you can have a break!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are so many people I would like to comment back to but first to Melissa~ YOU'RE OVERDUE!!! You will NOT be watching my children any time soon!! Keep me posted on any happenings in the baby world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura -- You are the best looking mom of four that I know. Honestly, when you walked in to the Chapel after having Gabriel, Eric and I both looked at each other with our mouths dropped --- both thinking, "That woman JUST had a baby!!"

    Second comment --- The YMCA offers financial assistance. Don't laugh. They offered it to me several times, so I just applied a few weeks ago. They (the YMCA in Mountain View) gave me 30% off my single parent membership (why sign Joel up too, it's just for you anyway). And, a single parent is as many kids as you want to bring! Think -- at least 1 1/2 hours of complete quiet as you run on a treadmill or do yoga or sit in the hot tub while other women watch your children for you in a huge child-oriented playroom. Bliss, I tell you. Heck, you could even take a nap in the hot tub! That's worth the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man I feel your pain. With Saylor I lost the weight so easily not so much this go round! I even bought some lean cuisines because they were on sale hoping I could curb some calories and drop some pounds but I had to eat 3 before I felt full enough to be a good mom. Yes hunger makes me a VERY bad mom!

    ReplyDelete