26 July 2005

Oh my FTP—oh my!

I’m trying to redesign the joelman website. Don’t get too excited. I haven’t spent the night on it like I expected. Why? Because I’m an idiot.

Well, not really, but close. I’m using a nice GUI interface to upload my index.html page. The first page everyone looks at, right? Well, instead of a careful upload into the correct directory it went into my /blog directory. That was a problem. Makes me want to return to the command line. The index file replaced the existing index.php (why would it do that, different extensions and all?). Well, that made this blog unreadable. I tried to fix it. And I guess I did, by just downloading the entire wordpress codex again and over-writing the messed up index.php with an original. Since I haven’t really taken advantage of customizing the site, no other changes were required. Phew.

But I was frustrated reading through help pages at wordpress.org. They were of no help. But common sense ruled the day, I guess.

Back to building my website. I’m using a theme “Life under construction” basically, because I have no idea what I’ll be doing with my life in the next few months. I’m searching for a stable job with no luck. More importantly, I suppose, is my lack of direction. Quitting graduate school and deciding a Ph.D. wasn’t for me has looked more and more like a dumb decision. Considering I have no career goals, I feel like I’m stuck in a rip tide being pulled out to who-knows-where.

Well, if you’re following my blog, you’ll notice that I’ll back track and publish several days of writing at once. That’s because I start something and the drafts start piling up. I have the intention to edit and publish in a timely fashion, but it just doesn’t happen. So keep coming back and scroll down, something new might be there.

2 Responses to “Oh my FTP—oh my!”

  1. Rahul Says:

    Hmmm… It probably didn’t replace the index.php. But I think the server looks for a .html file to present first. So if there’s and index.php file and an index.html file, the index.html file will get priority…

    For future reference if you’d just deleted the newly copied index.html file everything should have been fine.

  2. Administrator Says:

    That’s what was so strange. There was no index.html file in the directory. In fact I would moved the “new” index.php and it was a simple file like this:

    However, when I looked at it under admin presentation->theme editor->main theme, I saw my index.html. That’s what was so strange to me. I promise, no .html file to delete and replacing the .php file made the fix happen.