20 August 2011

Repeating the past

On Sunday afternoon, we visited my parents. I took a look at some of their photo albums and was struck by the similarities. Particularly, the picture of my Dad, Jacob, and me in this amusement park ride.

From Vintage

On Saturday, I took Benjamin on the same ride at Great America. The 'eagle ride' (aka, Flying Eagles) had Ben's attention before even getting to the park. All morning he was begging me to take him. We finally found a time that I could go on the ride while Laura watched the rest of the kids. He was so excited, standing in the busy line. We saw people get on five or six times, and he kept his excitement up. The moment he got in I tried to take a picture to commemorate the event. He started to whine (almost cry) saying he didn't want to be on the ride. He was too scared. I stopped trying to take a picture and climbed in. I tried to reassure him that it would be fine. Once the ride started, he continued to complain about how he was scared. It went too high and too fast. I did my best to calm him and keep the ride from being too jarring for him. He kept that pouty face on for most of the ride. Once we started to slow down, I was telling him to hang in there, because it was almost over. Then, when the ride stopped moving, and I told him it was time to get out, how do you think he responded? Of course, he wanted to go again! However, one spinning ride is my limit. We went off to find the rest of the family.

It was hard to convince him at the beginning of the ride, but I was able to get a snapshot of Ben and me in the ride.



Back to Sunday night, where I was looking at the pictures and found some of a family beach trip when I was a kid. Of course, kids were buried in sand. I'm just starting to break out (in the middle):



We all start to breakout:



Abigail and Benjamin also buried themselves on a recent beach trip. Abigail helped Benjamin get buried.



And she was proud of her handy work.



She also buried herself in the sand, not wanting to miss the fun.



Naturally, at my parents, Abigail & Collette climbed up the playhouse and slid down the firehouse-style pole.





Just like we did when we were kids. Here are a couple shots. One with Korynne and the other with Jacob John Paul (I think).





Edit: s/John Paul/Jacob

3 comments:

  1. This was a fun post Joel, but the kid in the picture with Korynne is Jared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPS! my bad. The kid in the picture is Jacob. Sorry. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright - I fixed it. Makes more sense!

    ReplyDelete